Information on Visa to Join your Fiancé/e
(Effective: February 2021)
This leaflet, other forms and the visa appointments are free of charge.
To apply for a visa to join your fiancé/e, the following documents have to be provided by the applicant. For all documents that are not in English or German, applicants must also provide a translation into English or German by a translator who is certified in an EU country, plus one copy of the translation.
- Two application forms (category D), completely filled out and signed by hand.
- Two recent biometrical passport photos (3.5 cm x 4.5 cm) with a light background (see www.bundesdruckerei.de);
- Valid passport or other valid travel document and two copies of the passport’s identity page.
- Ethiopian ID-card (original and two copies);
- Birth certificate (original and two copies);
- Proof of application for marriage (Anmeldung zur Eheschließung) at a German civil registry office (original and two copies);
- When joining a German fiancé/e: passport or identity card of the German fiancé/e (two certified copies);
- When joining a fiancé/e who is not a German citizen: proof of residence status (copy of passport and residence ID);
- “Meldebescheinigung” of the fiancé/e living in Germany (original and two copies);
- Formal obligation according to §§ 66-68 of the Law of Residence (original and two copies);
- When joining a German fiancé/e or a fiancé/e who is not an EU-citizen: income statements of the last three months and rental agreement (two copies each);
- Evidence of German language proficiency (original and two copies): recognised language certificate of level A1 German (Goethe-Institut, Telc, ÖSD or TestDaF), not older than six months. A test for this certificate can currently be taken at the Goethe-Institut in Addis Ababa. Other exam providers in Ethiopia are not known to the Embassy. You can find more details with regard to language proficiency requirements on the website of the Federal Office for Migration: https://www.bamf.de/SharedDocs/Anlagen/DE/MigrationAufenthalt/Ehegattennachzug/ehegattennachzug-en.html You will also find information in which cases you do not have to provide prove of German language skills.
- Fees of EUR 75 - (payable in ETB at the Embassy’s exchange rate at the time of the application), unless the fiancé/e in Germany is a German or EU citizen;
Note: In particular cases, the Embassy reserves the right to request further documentation.
Phone: +251-11 123 51 40 / 42
Fax: +0049-30-1817 67204