Freedom of Movement Act/EU

Foto des Ortsschilds von Schengen

Foto des Ortsschilds von Schengen, © colourbox.de

16.11.2022 - Article

List of supporting documents to be presented by applicants for travelling on the Freedom of Movement Act/EU, living in Ethiopia

To apply for a short stay visa, the following documents have to be provided by the applicant. Documents that are not presented either in German or English have to be submitted together with a translation into German or English by a certified translator.
Laminated documents are not accepted.
You are required to submit a copy of every provided original document. Incomplete applications may be denied

All applicants

  1. One completely filled-in and signed application form. Please use the VIDEX long term application form in order to speed up the application process and to reduce your waiting time.
  2. One recent biometrical passport photograph with a bright background (3.5 cm x 4.5 cm). The photos have to show the facial features from the chin to the hairline as well as the left and right half of the face: sample chart for passport photos
  3. A valid passport or other valid travel document as well as a copy of the first and all stamped pages. Please note that the passport/travel document has to be valid for at least three months after the end of the intended journey
  4. preliminary ticket booking or travel itinerary (it is not necessary to buy a flight ticket at this stage)
  5. any other documents relating to the applicant's financial status and personal ties in Ethiopia, such as title deeds or lease agreements for property, business registration, vehicle registration card, marriage certificate, birth certificate/s of children, etc.

Additional requirements for applicants travelling with the Freedom of Movement Act / EU

  1. Proof of the relation to the family member (e.g. marriage certificate, etc.)
  2. Copy of the passport of the family member living in the Federal Republic of Germany
  3. Proof of residence in the Federal Republic of Germany
  4. At the time of the application the family member has to proof that he / she is residing in Germany on the basis of the Freedom of Movement with suitable document, e.g. confirmation of:
  • engagement, certificate of employment;
  • Proof of self-employment
  • Proof of wealth/Proof of income for reunification with a non-working relative, family health insurance, Proof of alimentation, certificate of enrolment.

Additional requirements for minors (under the age of 18 years)

  1. original of birth certificate;
  2. copy of both parents' ID-cards and passports, if applicable (all pages containing any type of information);
  3. legalized declaration of consent of both parents if the minor is travelling alone; in case the minor is accompanied by one parent only, a legalized declaration of consent from the parent who is not accompanying is required
  4. if either one of the parents is absent or deceased this must be proven by a court decision or a death certificate when applicable;
  5. if the legal guardian is someone else than the parent as stated in the birth certificate, a custody order must be submitted in order to prove legal guardianship;
  6. letter from school containing the minor’s name, name of parents, grade, number of years at school, school holidays, contact details, date and name of school representative;
  7. if the minor travels with a group: a complete list of names of all group members travelling and name of person in charge of the group.

Additional requirements for non-Ethiopian applicants residing in Ethiopia

  1. Copy of the applicant's Ethiopian residence permit.
  2. If the applicant intents to return to Ethiopia, the residence permit should be valid for at least 3 months after the planned stay in the territory of the Member States.
  3. In case the applicant does not intend to return to Ethiopia: proof that the entry to country of origin or any other third country is guaranteed.

All fingers of a visa applicant are electronically scanned during the interview with the applicant in the Embassy.

Please find the Embassy's address here.

For questions beyond the detailed information provided on the website, please contact the visa section via the contact form.

Top of page