The German Embassy in Addis Ababa is competent for accepting visa applications from holders of diplomatic and service passports who are subject to visa requirements as well as employees of the Foreign Ministry, the African Union, the United Nations and embassies with habitual residence in Ethiopia and Djibouti. However, persons who wish to apply for a Schengen visa and are habitually residing in Djibouti must apply exclusively with the French Embassy in Djibouti: Boulevard du Maréchal Lyautey, P.B. 75, Tel: +253 352503, Fax No: +253 350007, www.ambafrance-dj.org
In order to apply for a visa, you need an appointment.
Due to the large number of international organisations and embassies based in Ethiopia, the Embassy has set up a special appointment category for the above-mentioned group of persons. You will find it in the appointment system under the designation:
“Category 5: Holders of diplomatic and service passports and employees of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the African Union, the United Nations and embassies”.
In this category, you can book an appointment to apply for a visa regardless of the purpose of your trip and the length of your stay.
For further information, please read the relevant instructions.
However, the type of visa depends on the duration and purpose of the intended stay, even for the above-mentioned category of persons. Do you only want to come to Germany for a short time (up to 90 days), e.g. as part of a business trip? Or are you planning a longer stay (more than 90 days), e.g. for your transfer to a new place of employment? Please use the Visa Navigator to determine the correct visa category.
- Further information on Schengen visas (stays of less than 90 days) can be accessed here.
- Further information on national visas (stays of more than 90 days) can be accessed here.
Depending on the purpose of stay, the correct application form must be submitted:
- The form for applying for a Schengen visa can be found here: VIDEX Schengen
- The form for applying for a national visa can be found here: VIDEX national
- The form for applying for a national visa for accreditation as a diplomat in Germany can be found here.
Depending on the purpose of stay, the required supporting documents must be submitted:
- The information sheets on the supporting documents for a Schengen visa can be found here according to the purpose of travel (business trip, private trip, official delegation trip, etc.). It is mandatory to sumbit all the listed documents. Only the presentation of travel health insurance is not required for diplomatic passport holders.
- You can find the information sheets on the supporting documents for a national visa according to the purpose of the journey (gainful employment, study, etc.) here. It is mandatory to sumbit all the listed documents. Only the presentation of travel health insurance is not required for diplomatic passport holders.
- The following documents are required to apply for a national visa for accreditation as a diplomat in Germany:
- Application form for accreditation as a diplomat in Germany for all applicants
- Original and copy of diplomatic, service or ordinary passport
- Biometric passport photo on a bright background (size: 3.5 cm x 4.5 cm): sample chart for passport photos
- Note Verbale from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or the mission abroad with details of the future place of employment, predecessor and area of responsibility
- If the position is a new one, a brief description of the duties involved.
The processing time for Schengen visas is 14 calendar days for private and business trips. The processing time for national visas and for diplomats for accreditation in Germany varies.
Important information for United Nations (UN) laissez-passer holders
The United Nations issues laissez-passer in two different versions:
- with a red cover
- with blue cover
Laissez-passer are accepted as a substitute for a passport and holders do not need a visa to enter the country.
Important information for holders of diplomatic and service passports and Laissez-Passer of the African Union (AU)
AU diplomatic and service passports are only valid for AU member states. The AU Laissez Passer is also not valid as a travel document outside the member states of the AU. Appointment booking, visa application and subsequent entry cannot be made with AU diplomatic and service passports or the Laissez-Passer. It is mandatory to use the respective national passport. As applications are filed with the national passport, the personal appearance of the applicant and the submission of fingerprints cannot be dispensed with. All documents supporting the application must also be submitted. This usually includes travel health insurance (for Schengen visas) and the visa fee.
For questions beyond the detailed information provided on the website, please contact the visa section via the contact form.