To apply for a short stay visa, the following documents have to be provided by the applicant. Documents that are not presented either in German or English have to be submitted together with a translation into German or English by a certified translator.
Laminated documents are not accepted.
You are required to submit a copy of every provided original document. Incomplete applications may be denied.
- One completely filled-in and signed application form. Please use the VIDEX application form in order to speed up the application process and to reduce your waiting time.
- One recent biometrical passport photograph with a bright background (3.5 cm x 4.5 cm). The photos have to show the facial features from the chin to the hairline as well as the left and right half of the face: sample chart for passport photos
- A valid passport or other valid travel document as well as a copy of the first and all stamped pages. Please note that the passport/travel document has to be valid for at least three months after the end of the intended journey
- preliminary ticket booking or travel itinerary (it is not necessary to buy a flight ticket at this stage)
- proof of accomodation
- recent bank statement covering the minimum last three months and/or personal bank saving book
- any other documents relating to the applicant's financial status and personal ties in Ethiopia, such as title deeds or lease agreements for property, business registration, vehicle registration card, marriage certificate, birth certificate/s of children, etc.
Travel Health Insurance, valid for all Schengen Member States with a minimum coverage of EUR 30 000
Fees of EUR 80 (payable in ETB at the Embassy’s exchange rate at the time of the application), unless the spouse in Germany is a German or EU citizen
- a dated and signed letter from the current employer containing the following information:
- the applicant's personal data, function/profession
- terms of employment (temporary or permanent)
- starting date of employment
- monthly net salary
- granted leave days
- date and contact details of the employer
- Trade/business license
- Tax registration
- Business registration (city administration)
- Bank statement for business account (for the last three months, as a minimum)
- Documents proving the pension or other financial support
Additional requirements for applicants travelling for purpose of medical treatment
- letter from the medical institution or doctor in the Member State of destination indicating the following:
- contact with the local doctor or clinic
- nature of the treatment
- estimated time for the recovery
- need for and number of return visits
- costs of treatment
- declaration that the patient is accepted and that the treatment can be performed
- declaration that the medical institution or doctor agrees with the intended method of payment
- letter drafted and signed within the last 3 months by the applicant's local doctor providing background information about the medical treatment and confirming the need of specific medical treatment to be provided abroad; alternatively examination report of the cooperation doctor of the Embassy
- proof of pre-payment of the treatment or other proof of sufficient financial means to cover the medical treatment (and related expenses).
- in some cases, additional medical consultations may be required to confirm the diagnosis prior to finalizing the visa process.
Additional requirements for minors (under the age of 18 years)
- original of birth certificate;
- copy of both parents' ID-cards and passports, if applicable (all pages containing any type of information);
- legalized declaration of consent of both parents if the minor is travelling alone; in case the minor is accompanied by one parent only, a legalized declaration of consent from the parent who is not accompanying is required
- if either one of the parents is absent or deceased this must be proven by a court decision or a death certificate when applicable;
- if the legal guardian is someone else than the parent as stated in the birth certificate, a custody order must be submitted in order to prove legal guardianship;
- letter from school containing the minor’s name, name of parents, grade, number of years at school, school holidays, contact details, date and name of school representative;
- if the minor travels with a group: a complete list of names of all group members travelling and name of person in charge of the group.
Additional requirements for non-Ethiopian applicants residing in Ethiopia
- Copy of the applicant's Ethiopian residence permit.
- If the applicant intents to return to Ethiopia, the residence permit should be valid for at least 3 months after the planned stay in the territory of the Member States.
- In case the applicant does not intend to return to Ethiopia: proof that the entry to country of origin or any other third country is guaranteed.
All fingers of a visa applicant are electronically scanned during the interview with the applicant in the Embassy.
Please find the Embassy's address here.
For questions beyond the detailed information provided on the website, please contact the visa section via the contact form.