To apply for a national visa, the following documents have to be provided by the applicant. Documents that are not presented either in German or English have to be submitted together with a translation into German or English by a certified translator.
- Laminated documents are not accepted.
- You are required to submit one copy of every provided original document. Copies that are damaged or stapled are not accepted.
- Incomplete applications may be denied.
- One completely filled and signed application forms. Please use the Videx application form for national visas in order to speed up the application process and to reduce your waiting time.
- One recent biometrical passport photograph with a bright background (3.5 cm x 4.5 cm). The photo has to show the facial features from the chin to the hairline as well as the left and right half of the face: sample chart for passport photos
- A valid passport or other valid travel document as well as one copy of the first and all stamped pages. Please note that the passport/travel document has to be valid for at least three months after the end of the intended journey
- Ethiopian ID-Card (original and one copy)
- Birth certificate (original and one copy)
- Au-Pair contract (original and one copy). This contract should contain the following information:
⬜ Exact identification of the contracting parties
⬜ General duties of the host parents and the au-pair
⬜ Agreement about a monthly pocket money of 280 EUR
⬜ Commitment of the host parents to conclude an insurance for the au-pair covering illness, pregnancy and birth as well as accident
⬜ Commitment of the host parents to support the participation of German language courses with a contribution of 50 Euro per month
⬜ Agreement about the working hours:
> max. 6 hours per day
> max. 30 hours per week
> at least 2 work days holidays per month
- Proof of German language proficiency level A1 German (Goethe-Institut, Telc, ÖSD or TestDaF); when applying for the visa oral language proficiency will be tested (original and one copy)
- Ethiopian school leaving certificate (original and one copy)
- Detailed CV (original and one copy)
- Motivational letter (original and one copy)
Please find the Embassy's address here.
For questions beyond the detailed information provided on the website, please contact the visa section via the contact form.