To apply for a national visa, the following documents have to be provided by the applicant. Documents that are not presented either in German or English have to be submitted together with a translation into German or English by a certified translator.
Laminated documents are not accepted.
You are required to submit a copy of every provided original document. Incomplete applications may be denied.
- Two completely filled-in and signed application forms. Please use the VIDEX national application form in order to speed up the application process and to reduce your waiting time.
- Two recent biometrical passport photographs with a bright background (3.5 cm x 4.5 cm). The photos have to show the facial features from the chin to the hairline as well as the left and right half of the face: sample chart for passport photos
- A valid passport or other valid travel document as well as a copy of the first and all stamped pages. Please note that the passport/travel document has to be valid for at least three months after the end of the intended journey
- Ethiopian ID-Card (original and two copies)
- Applicant's birth certificate (original and two copies)
- Civil marriage certificate (original and two copies);
- If joining a German partner: passport or identity card of the German partner (two certified copies);
If joining a partner who is not a German citizen: proof of residence status of the partner living in Germany (copy of passport and residence ID);
If joining a partner being awarded protection status in Germany: 2 copies of the letter of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF) awarding refugee or subsidiary protection status (“BAMF-Bescheid”)
“Meldebescheinigung” of the partner living in Germany (original and two copies);
income statements of the last three months and rental agreement (two copies each);
Evidence of German language proficiency (original and two copies): recognized language certificate of level A1 German (Goethe-Institut, Telc, ÖSD or TestDaF), not older than six months. A test for this certificate can currently be taken at the Goethe-Institute in Addis Ababa. Other exam providers in Ethiopia are not known to the Embassy. You can find more details with regard to language proficiency requirements on the website of the Federal Office for Migration. You will also find information in which cases you do not have to provide prove of German language skills.
Fees of EUR 75 - (payable in ETB at the Embassy’s exchange rate at the time of the application), unless the spouse in Germany is a German or EU citizen;
All fingers of a visa applicant are electronically scanned during the interview with the applicant in the Embassy.
Please find the Embassy's address here.
For questions beyond the detailed information provided on the website, please contact the visa section via the contact form.