To apply for a national visa, the following documents have to be provided by the applicant. Documents that are not presented either in German or English have to be submitted together with a translation into German or English by a certified translator.
- Laminated documents are not accepted.
- You are required to submit one copy of every provided original document. Copies that are damaged or stapled are not accepted.
- Incomplete applications may be denied.
- One completely filled and signed application form. Please use the VIDEX long-term application form in order to speed up the application process and to reduce your waiting time.
- One recent biometrical passport photograph with a bright background (3.5 cm x 4.5 cm). The photo has to show the facial features from the chin to the hairline as well as the left and right half of the face: sample chart for passport photos
- A valid passport or other valid travel document as well as one copy of the first and all stamped pages. Please note that the passport/travel document has to be valid for at least three months after the end of the intended journey
- Ethiopian ID-Card (original and one copy)
- Civil birth certificate (original and one copy)
- Proof of application for marriage at a German civil registry office (original and one copy);
- If joining a German fiancé/e: passport or identity card of the German fiancé/e (one copy);
- If joining a fiancé/e who is not a German citizen: evidence of residence status (one copy of the passport with the residence ID);
- If joining a fiancé/e being awarded protection status in Germany: letter of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF) awarding refugee or subsidiary protection status (“BAMF-Bescheid”), one copy
- A recent “Meldebescheinigung” of the fiancé/e living in Germany (original and one copy);
- Income statements of the last three months and rental agreement (one copy each);
- Evidence of German language proficiency (original and two copies): recognized language certificate of level A1 German (Goethe-Institut, Telc, ÖSD or TestDaF), not older than six months. A test for this certificate can currently be taken at the Goethe-Institute in Addis Ababa. Other exam providers in Ethiopia are not known to the Embassy. You can find more details with regard to language proficiency requirements on the website of the Federal Office for Migration.
- Fees of EUR 75 - (payable in ETB at the Embassy’s exchange rate at the time of the application), unless the fiancé/e in Germany is a German or EU citizen;
During the appointment, digital finger prints of all fingers will be taken.
Please find the Embassy's address here.
For questions beyond the detailed information provided on the website, please contact the visa section via the contact form.