To apply for a national visa, the following documents have to be provided by the applicant. Documents that are not presented either in German or English have to be submitted together with a translation into German or English by a certified translator.
Laminated documents are not accepted.
You are required to submit a copy of every provided original document. Incomplete applications may be denied.
- Two completely filled-in and signed application form. Please use the VIDEX national application form in order to speed up the application process and to reduce your waiting time.
- Two recent biometrical passport photographs with a bright background (3.5 cm x 4.5 cm). The photos have to show the facial features from the chin to the hairline as well as the left and right half of the face: sample chart for passport photos
- A valid passport or other valid travel document as well as a copy of the first and all stamped pages. Please note that the passport/travel document has to be valid for at least three months after the end of the intended journey
- Civil birth certificate (original and two copies)
- Civil marriage certificate or proof of custody of the parent residing in Germany (e.g. court ruling on custody) (original and two copies);
- If the parent who has also the custody is deceased or missing, presentation of dead certificate or judicial report;
- If joining a German parent: passport or identity card of the German partner (two certified copies);
- If joining a parent who is not a German citizen: proof of residence status of the partner living in Germany (copy of passport and residence ID);
- If joining a parent being awarded protection status in Germany: 2 copies of the letter of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF) awarding refugee or subsidiary protection status (“BAMF-Bescheid”)
- A recent “Meldebescheinigung” of the parent living in Germany (original and two copies);
- In case of representation by a third person, for ex. lawyer or guardian: presentation of an original power of attorney with copy;
- income statements of the last three months and rental agreement (two copies each);
- Children who are 16 years and older and who will move alone to Germany have to present a recognized language certificate of level C1 German (Goethe-Institut, Telc, ÖSD or TestDaF), not older than six months (original and two copies). A test for this certificate can currently be taken at the Goethe-Institute in Addis Ababa. Other exam providers in Ethiopia are not known to the Embassy.
- Fees of EUR 37,50.- (payable in ETB at the Embassy’s exchange rate at the time of the application), unless the parent in Germany is a German or EU citizen;
All fingers of a visa applicant are electronically scanned during the interview with the applicant in the Embassy.
Please find the Embassy's address here.
For questions beyond the detailed information provided on the website, please contact the visa section via the contact form.